The student workshop at GECCO (Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference) aims to provide a platform for graduate and undergraduate students to present their research at GECCO. This multi-session workshop supports students with their scientific work and facilitates their inclusion in the research community. Our call for papers can be found on the Call for Student Workshop page.
At the workshop, students receive valuable feedback on the quality of their work and their presentation style. This is assured by constructive discussions after each talk led by a mentor panel of established researchers. Students are encouraged to use this opportunity for guidance on future research directions.
In addition, we provide opportunities to:
- present the work to the whole conference audience at the poster session,
- receive a best paper award, and,
- network and discuss ideas during and after the workshop.
We hope that the variety of covered topics (all topics at GECCO) will catch the attention of a wide range of conference attendees, who will learn about fresh research ideas and meet young researchers with related interests. Even when not submitting or presenting, students are encouraged to attend the workshop to learn of and from the work of their colleagues and broaden their (scientific) horizons.
... so, submit your work or encourage your students to do so!
We are excited to announce that Miguel Nicolau (University College Dublin, Ireland), Andrew M. Sutton (Hasso Plattner Institute, Germany) and Vanessa Volz (Queen Mary University of London, UK) will be on our mentor panel.
The student workshop award candidates are found in Student Workshop Award. The candidates are nominated based on the reviewer's scores. The final choice will be made by the organizers and the mentors based on the oral presentations and the quality of the papers. The winner will be announced at the GECCO closing session.
- Main website: http://gecco-2019.sigevo.org/index.html/Student+Workshop
- GECCO homepage: http://gecco-2019.sigevo.org
- GECCO Twitter: https://twitter.com/GECCO2019
- Previous student workshops: 2018; 2017; 2016; 2015; 2014; 2013
We also encourage you to read about the benefits of being a student when attending GECCO (including information on scholarships, travel grants and room sharing) and the SIGEVO Summer School.
- Youhei Akimoto (University of Tsukuba, Japan)
- Christine Zarges (Aberystwyth University, Wales, United Kingdom)